Senior Backend Engineer (m/f/x) at BurdaForward Italia
BurdaForward is the digital media house of the future. Our strong network is based on the journalistic brands FOCUS Online, CHIP, Finanzen100, NetMoms, The Weather Channel, EFAHRER.com and cardscout. We already inspire more than every second internet user in Germany (agof daily digital facts April 2019) and we are a driving force in the public debate - also by tradition: BurdaForward is part of Hubert Burda Media, a family company with values. As a publishing house that has been writing media history for more than a hundred years Hubert Burda Media assumes social responsibility by supporting cultural and social organisations to this day.
At BurdaForward we have a common mission: to support and provide people with individual, reliable and solution-oriented content throughout the day and help them lead a better life. That's why we do not only outline problems but point out how things can be improved - in society and in everyday life. We combine first-class journalism with innovative technology and we happily welcome anyone who wants to join us!
With nearly 700 employees from over 32 nations located in six beautiful German cities and southern Italy we promote an international spirit. Yet we are in close contact with all our colleagues as important meetings are broadcasted via video and direct flights between all locations are available. Bari is our product and development site and gains from the rapidly growing local tech community.
Your challenging task...
This position is open at our BurdaForward brand Chip. Chip is the adviser for the digital world and operates one of the largest technology test centers in Europe. The website Chip Online is Germany's No. 1 website for computers, mobile, and home entertainment and reaches 17.12 million unique users in a single month (AGOF digital facts 2018-08). The journalistic offer covers magazines such as Chip, Chip PHOTO VIDEO and Chip WISSEN. As a tech media company, BurdaForward combines user-oriented content with agile software development.
As a senior backend developer (f/m/x) you will work at the core of CHIP transactional product development. You ensure that our platform is available 24/7 and fulfills the highest engineering and quality requirements while remaining both scalable and future-proof. You will support our backend technology team in casting great ideas into excellent code. Through your creativity and experience, you will be able to find an optimal synthesis of professional requirements and technological possibilities.
- You will work on the design and architecture of our old and new proprietary backend technology in the area of transactions.
- You will be involved in the development of projects, services and components and thus be a role model for excellent code.
- You understand complex technical relationships fast and can translate them into scalable and maintainable software architectures.
- You discuss with software engineers as well as with all stakeholders of other departments at eye level and mediate between the worlds.
Your convincing background...
- You are a graduate computer scientist or similar and have at least 3 years of practical experience as a senior software engineer.
- You have excellent communication skills and be able to discuss with software engineers, admins, stakeholders from other departments and management at eye level.
- You want to be part of an international, intercultural and English-speaking team.
- You have extensive practical experience with the development of distributed, highly scaled systems (ideally in an AWS environment).
- You know the advantages and disadvantages of AWS services and be able to apply SOA principles.
- You have extensive experience in persistence mechanisms and data modeling.
- You have experience in integrating backend services (e.g. REST APIs, SOAP APIs, JSON, XML)
- You have proven experience in writing ETL jobs and can handle heterogeneous data.
- You proactively expand your knowledge and educate yourself in the field of Data Sciences.
- You are interested in new trends in software engineering and software architecture without forgetting proven technologies and patterns.
Our applied technologies and frameworks:
- PHP, Node JS, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Elastic Stack, Docker, AWS, Symfony, Terraform
Your inspiring environment...
- At BurdaForward you will find a technology-driven environment in which your contributions matter and you are enabled to grow – personally and professionally
- Have an impact - you have the possibility to shape our new tech center from the very beginning!
- Internationality! You´ will be working in international teams and English will be your primary working language.
- Mobile First! Every employee receives a smartphone and laptop for professional and private use.
- We Care! We provide lunch vouchers and there are free fruits, water and coffee in all our offices.
- We encourage an open and direct communication.
- We are a 100% subsidiary company of Hubert Burda Media – this implies a unique compatibility of startup-spirit and professional long-term perspectives.
Would you like to get a first impression of BurdaForward in advance? Then you should watch the following videos on our YouTube channel: